My 2nd 20 and Holiday Hoedown Wrap-Up

23 Dec

This is a bit late due to a trip to Idaho to pick up this year’s half a cow.

So here’s the run down.  My week was fairly good.  It could have been better if I wasn’t still fighting my hip and ankle.  Because of the hip and ankle, I didn’t run Thursday’s scheduled 6 miles.  Would have liked to, but I feared that if I did there was no way I would have been able to complete the 20 I had scheduled for Saturday.  So I didn’t.  I did see the chiropractor and by Friday I was feeling at about 80%.  Which, all things considering I had been feeling about 50%, 80% was pretty good!

The weather had been iffy all week.  Lots of snow and cold and rain was supposed to be hitting us Friday through Sunday.  I sighed a lot on Twitter about it.  I didn’t want to run in slippery weather.  I didn’t want to run in rainy weather.  I contemplated wearing a trash bag to keep me dry.  I live in the desert.  It doesn’t rain all that much and it’s out of the norm for it to rain in December.  So I started seriously contemplating the treadmill.  At least in the morning for maybe half of the 20.  Then chauffeur kids around and then hopefully the weather would start behaving and I could do the last 10 outside.  Yep, I could do that.

Until I heard that we were going to be having 70 mph wind gusts Saturday afternoon.

Humph.  I might fly away in a 70 mph gust of wind.  And then I definitely wouldn’t have made it to Disney.  Although, the wind was blowing to the east.  Maybe if I hit it just right….Christie, I’m coming in for a landing!!

But alas, I got up later than I had planned and got in 8 miles on the treadmill before 9 am.  Took a 90-minute break for mom duties, and then hopped back on the treadmill.  I’m not gonna lie.  My ankle was hurting.  I wanted to cry.  I walked a lot of that last 12 miles.  But in walking, I had my peeps on twitter entertaining me with random funnies.  I might be putting them on speed dial on January 9th if I’m still having ouch issues.  Because the last 5 miles was hard.  And then I miscalculated and thought I only had 2.5 miles to go and then I questioned my math skills and realized I still had 3.5 to go.  I was hot and sweaty and starving.  (Man, I have *got* to figure out something that will keep my stomach from growling!)

I’m so happy that I had my previous 20-miler done.  Because I would have been hard pressed to add another 6.2  miles to Saturday’s run.  The first 20-miler, I knew I could do it.

But I did it.  I completed a second 20-mile run.  That still blows my mind to think about.  And I did it on a treadmill.  That’s almost as hardcore as running 20 miles in the snow (which is what the first one was).

Honestly I don’t remember what my goals were this week.  It was such a blur.  But I’m going to say that I’m proud of where I’m at.  I exercised for 4 hours and 38 minutes.  For a total of 278 minutes.

And on that note, I’m going to say thanks to my team – The Healthy Holiday Hos – you’re awesome, and I’m going to leave you with this picture.


10 fingers and 10 toes = 20 miles!!

Leave a comment

Posted by on December 23, 2010 in Uncategorized


Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: